Electricity and heating
- All residential housing must have hot and cold water and electricity. Housing in Iceland is heated by hot water or electricity.
- When moving into a new flat or house, it is important to have the energy meters read so that only what is used is paid for.
- In some cases, heating and electricity are included in the rent – if not, tenants are responsible for paying for usage themselves.
- Bills are usually sent monthly on the basis of estimated energy use by residents in the housing in question. Once a year, a settlement bill is sent together with a reading of the meters measuring energy use in the home taken by an employee of the relevant energy company.
- Municipal offices can provide information on companies that sell and provide electricity and hot water in the municipality.