Most healthcare centres and hospitals operate Accident & Emergency departments.
Services are provided all year round.
The emergency number 112 answers all calls relating to emergencies and requests for assistance and is responsible for all emergency services, 24/7 all year round.
- Admission to hospital can only happen with the intervention of a doctor. However, in emergency cases, patients may go directly to a hospital.
- Those with social security (health insurance) are entitled to free hospital accommodation.
- Healthcare centres throughout Iceland operate a family-doctor shift service. In Greater Reykjavik, this service is known as Læknavaktin and can be reached by phone on 1770.
- For children, you can also contact the Children’s Medical Helpline at Domus Medica on 563 1010.
- Ambulances transport injured and ill people who are unable to transport themselves. Information on phone numbers is at the front of the phone book. The emergency number throughout Iceland is 112.