Upper-secondary study is not compulsory

  •  Schools are known as: comprehensive schools, upper-secondary schools, technical schools, grammar schools or vocational schools.
  • Anybody who has completed primary-school education or obtained a similar qualification may begin study in an upper-secondary school.
  • It is important for Year 10 pupils and their guardians and prospective upper-secondary students to familiarise themselves with the study options offered by schools. Student counsellors and other primary and secondary-school staff can also provide information.
  • Pupils completing Year 10 at primary school and their guardians receive a letter in the spring (April/May) from the Ministry of Education containing information on enrolling in daytime study at upper-secondary schools.
  • Other applicants for daytime study at upper-secondary schools can find information on study and enrolment on the Menntagátt website.
  • You can follow the admissions process on the Menntagátt website. When a school place has been assigned, the applicant must confirm it by paying the enrolment fee.
  • Pupils not achieving the required results in their Year 10 final exams should be offered study in a general upper-secondary school.
  • Length of study for upper-secondary students varies depending on whether they are following academic or practical (vocational) study.
  • Many upper-secondary schools have special departments, vocational study programmes and other courses specifically designed for students with special needs.
  • Many upper-secondary schools offer adult evening classes, specifically for mature students. Schools announce deadlines themselves, in the autumn and in the New Year.
  • Many upper-secondary schools also offer distance learning. Further information can be obtained from the websites of the schools offering such studies.
  • Upper-secondary students in rural areas who need to attend a school outside of their municipality are offered grants, either from their municipality or what are known as ‘equalisation grants’.
  • Upper-secondary students engaged in certified vocational training or other approved on-the-job training may apply for a study grant.
  • Families or guardians of upper-secondary students may apply for a grant from Icelandic Church Aid’s Future Fund or from their municipality to cover costs. Further information can be obtained from Icelandic Church Aid and the relevant municipality offices.